Frequently Asked Questions

If your questions are not answered below, you can contact one of our Commercial Trucking Insurance Specialists and we are happy to help with anything you may need.

  • $1,000,000 – Commercial Auto Liability
  • $1,000 – Deductible Physical Damage Coverage
  • $100,000 – Motor Truck Cargo
  • $1,000 – Deductible Non-Owned Trailer Coverage

You will probably need commercial auto liability, physical damage coverage, motor truck cargo insurance, bobtail insurance, occ/ acc insurance, and non-owned trailer coverage. Every situation is different for every trucker and trailer so it is important that you work with an agent who is experienced in providing trucking insurance.

Although they are often used interchangeably, bobtail insurance and non-trucking liability insurance are different. Leased operators generally need non-trucking insurance but many people still refer to this type of coverage as bobtail insurance.

Occupational accident truck insurance can be truly beneficial if you have a work-related accident or illness, especially if you don’t have health care coverage.

Non-trucking liability insurance is generally used by owner/operators who are leased onto a motor carrier. When you are dispatched for the motor carrier, their primary liability trucking insurance will cover you. However, if you are your own trucking company with your own customers or if you have your own authority, you will need to get your own primary liability trucking insurance.

Physical damage insurance protects truck drivers in the event of an accident. This type of insurance is also called collision insurance.

Legally, you do not need this type of coverage any longer if your truck is paid off. However, we recommend you still carry it as this coverage protects your truck which is your livelihood and it is important to have that protection.

We make every effort to insure every type of truck driver, regardless of your past driving record. Sometimes, the premium may become prohibitive so we will work with the driver to make sure we find the policy that works for you.

When you change trucking companies, you can almost always keep the same insurance. Your insurance rates will probably not change at all.

A driver may need this type of insurance if you have a trailer attached to your tractor that is not owned or long-term leased you.

Lienholders require physical damage insurance which protects their interest in case there is a trucking accident.

Intrastate – You travel only within a single state.
Interstate – You cross state lines for commercial purposes.

If you travel interstate, then you are required to have an authority with an insurance filing.

Yes. Many of the insurers have an option to include coverage for these items. It is done through the physical damage coverage

If you have permits with insurance filings, you generally must sell or transfer that vehicle out of your name. In some cases, a DMV non-operational certificate will work.

That will depend upon which insurance company you are insured through. Some policies can be transferred. Please notify us as soon as you can.

For approximately three years.

FMCSA MC Authority with a DOT number. Truck registration requires IRP, Single State Registration (SSRS) and IFTA. Depending upon which states you operate in, there may be individual state permits needed also.